Friday, August 28, 2015

Feeding the Population: It Starts With A Seed

Plants don't just spring out of the ground in a matter of moments. You can't walk down the sidewalk and watch grass aggressively break through the cracks in the cement. The same thing applies to knowledge. People can't just wake up one morning and just understand the physics of a car engine. It takes time to build knowledge.

I, Ally Burr, didn't wake up one morning with a newfound knowledge of one of the largest industries in the world. I had to search for the information and make an effort to learn what I have. It didn't help that I was not from a farm family. I was just a person with a hunger for knowledge.

Eighth-grade year was the first time I became exposed to agriculture, and it was through a class. Really, I had been exposed to agriculture my entire life -- everyone has -- but it was a matter of opening my eyes to an industry that will last as long as people do. From that point on, I took all the classes I could to learn about agriculture. Even further, I joined a nationwide organization for youth called the FFA, which allowed me to learn even more about the agricultural industry.

My journey has taught me a multitude of things, many of which I will share through the course of this blog. Just like a plant's roots search for water in the soil, the agricultural industry is looking to expand, but what it needs, the water for the industry, are people to help it grow. Growing doesn't necessarily mean every single person racing out and joining the industry right this second. Sometimes, it simply means being informed and aware. By the end of this blog, I hope that is what you, my reader, will gain: knowledge and awareness.

So, let's not delay anymore. The seed has been planted in your mind. How about let's give it some water?

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It helps students grow their knowledge of the ag industry by career development events and leadership skills as well as many other things.

      Delete
  2. My grandmother was in the FFA when she was in school. It really helped her grasp the importance of farmers and gave her an advantage when she married into the farming world.

    ReplyDelete